Saturday 12 May 2012

Month of Positives: Week 2 - Songs!

It’s getting harder and harder to not see FlutterDash as canon, something that is not new as far as my OTP’s go. In the Kirby section I have never had any doubts that Kirby and Ribbon are in love, while in the Super Smash Bros section, the moment Ganondorf pops up in a story I keep on thinking about how in my SSB fanfics he has a crush on Jigglypuff. Yes, GanonPuff/JigglyDorf is my SSB OTP...it is very disturbing. Now onto other stuff though such as my fanfic progress and my favourite songs, enjoy.

‘Open to Interpretation’ is almost complete; however, even though it should be done before the end of next week, this does not mean I will be uploading it any time soon. I will, as I usually do, leave it alone for a while so I can go back and edit, but this will take longer than usual for I have other things to focus on in the meantime. I have lots of stuff to get to work on over on Fanfiction.net, as well as the edits to ‘Thank You Cider’ which I hope to be doing over the course of the next month. There is also the case of ‘Magnetism’ which I need to keep working on so that when I begin uploading in August, I’ll be way ahead with the fanfic. I’ll say more on ‘Open to Interpretation’ next week, saying what I think of the finished product without spoiling anything but for now just know that I’m still writing fanfics and that below you can see my top ten favourite songs of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

10) Welcome Song – It may be short but it’s also catchy and with wonderful music and sound affects playing throughout. It also has a conversation feel that I love to see in the songs of this show.

9) Cutie Mark Crusaders Song -  No, I’m not talking about the BGM or Sweetie Belle’s short, I’m talking about the full length song in Show Stoppers. I genuinely love the song. At some points it reaches the ‘so bad it’s good’ level as listening to (and seeing) it becomes hilarious, while at other times it just really nice to listen too. The singing is cute, not bad enough to hurt but not skilled enough to make you forget that it’s supposed to be sung by children, while both the lyrics and background music are awesome.

8) The Flim Flam Brothers – Another conversational song, the Flim Flam Brothers song is the second catchiest song in the entire show. It imprints into your memory to the point you are able to sing lyrics from it at random, there are several funny moments just in the form of the singing, and never a dull moment. At first I felt this song was too long, and still feel that if this song was shorter the episode would have been able to fit in a slight improvement towards the ending, however the song itself works wonderfully for its length.

7) Twilight is my bestest friend – It’s a short song where in Pinkie Pie sings about how Twilight Sparkle is best pony. Do I need to say more? No, but I will note that this might as well be the theme song aboard the TwiPie fleet, and I love how Tara Strong slips into a Timmy Turner voice when she yells out Pinkie’s name.

6) The Perfect Stallion – When I first heard this song I immediately rewound the episode to listen to it again, and again, and again. Not just lovable to listen too, the things that go on while this song plays had me in hysterics. The little animation details (oh look, Lyra and Bon Bon are next to each other, and Doctor Whooves is next to Derpy), video games and funerals becoming canon, as well as little details such as Scootaloo not singing are terrific. My favourite moment though is the end, Apple Bloom’s question was the funniest part of the entire episode and still one of the most memorable moments of season 2 for me.

5) Art of the Dress – I hate fashion, have no fashion sense, and sucked at sewing...so why do I love this song so much? Easy, because it is sung well. It flows well, the lyrics work with what goes on, fits the episode perfectly, both parts fit in seamlessly with one another, and Rarity’s voice is just wonderful here. Furthermore it fit’s her character so well, if ‘Smile, Smile, Smile’ is effectively Pinkie Pie’s theme song then this here is Rarity’s.

4) Happy Monthiversary – This should be lower on the list but I just love this short piece. It’s one of the most subtle fourth wall breaking moments but undoubtedly one of the best, and the things Pinkie does as she sings is just great. Popping out of the cake at the end has managed to make me both grin and laugh aloud, and I’m not sure how I’m able to do that as one requires my mouth to be closed and the other does not.

3) This Day Aria – I do love a good villain song and this one was simply amazing. It felt fitting for the moment (although I do question how no one thought it was odd that the fake Candance was singing as she walked up the altar), and was sung wonderfully. It presented both Chrysalis and Candance well and I crack up every time I see Shinning Armour’s hypnotised face.

2) Winter Wrap Up – The catchiest song in the entire show, I first heard it back in November and it is still stuck in my brain. It has an excellent tune and as should be noted, is memorable. Furthermore it includes each of the Mane 6 and presents Twilight’s problem and situation very well (and also creates a bit of a downer to the end of the song).

1) Find a Pet – Originally only my second favourite song, this song was initially loved to a great degree for feeling like a musical. It’s a song that could have easily been done as a conversation (and as proof, they have many moments were they simply talk it) but they decided to sing it instead. This makes for some lovely comedy moments and an all round wonderful tune to it. Then I became a FlutterDash shipper, and as this is a Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash duet my love of the song increased even more. Finally I caught myself listening to this song more than any other, it’s tune, humour, and cheerfulness bringing me back to listen to it more and more. Thus, the Find a Pet song is now established as my favourite song of the entire show.

There you go folks, my top ten favourite songs of the show. Are there any that surprise you to see on this list? Are there any not included on the list that surprise you? Furthermore, what are your favourite songs? Feel free to discuss, I love to hear others opinions on such matters. Look forward to next when I will be discussing my top ten favourite pairings, all of which I support. Cheerio till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment