Tuesday 22 May 2012

Month of Positives: Week 3 - Pairings!

Sorry for the late Blogspot update, this one has been up my Fimfiction.net blog for a while and I have only just gotten around to posting it here. Enjoy!

My progression with fanfiction this week has been strange. How much did I get of 'Open to Interpretation' written? Nothing this week but 'Magnetism' I got at least two pages written up. Anyway I will explain right now, I do not know when or whether 'Open to Interpretation' will be finished and uploaded. You see, 'Open to Interpretation' is a spur of the moment one-shot written mostly in response to the stream of SoarinDash fanfics being made because of the Canterlot wedding and also as an organised analysis of that one FlutterDash moment that the community has been arguing over. Its basic premise is literally about Rarity, Applejack, and Twilight interoperating the same scene in different ways, and then having Pinkie Pie end it with a great comedy moment. While writing the story I realised it wasn't very good, at least in comparison to my other works, however I've been enjoying writing it. What I have not been enjoying is how it has been distracting me from other works, such as those in the SSB and Kirby sections, as well as 'Magnetism' which I really need to consider my top priority. Basically, I have no set schedule for 'Open to Interpretation', it is a one-shot I will write up when I have the time and when I want too. For me, the focus is back to other sections and of course 'Magnetism' which I have had quite a bit of enthusiasm for. Admittedly my current workings on the story involve re-writing the rough first chapter of the fanfic, back when I planned on calling it 'Fun With Magnetic Ponies', but the scene I am currently on is almost completely new thanks to removing the plot device of a messed up spell, and instead adding something more original to explain the situation Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash get themselves into. Now we move onto my top ten favourite pairings, a subject I have been wanting to discuss since I read Ugugg93's blog post regarding the same topic (can be found at the following link; http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/11233).

10) HeartBurn (Little Strong Heart and Braeburn) – Bronies need more HeartBurn...the pairing of Little Strong Heart and Braeburn, not actual heart burn. I’m actually amazed at how little of this pairing there actually is, or perhaps it only gets featured as a side pairing and never the focus of a story or artwork. Regardless, I like this ship; they were both the most reasonable of their groups, and in turn acted as the ambassadors for each group and heck, when Applejack and Rainbow Dash were pushing the two it looked like they were trying to force the ship to be.

9) ScootaSpike (Scootaloo and Spike) – According to The Cutie Mark Chronicles the two have interacted, and I can see the two hanging out as friends (which could in turn develop into something more). The few times I have seen this pairing depicted I have liked, and I garner enjoyment thinking of their interactions.

8) SoarJack (Soarin and Applejack) – My head-canon dictates Applejack as straight and yet, this here is pretty much the only pairing I like that meets the requirement of a straight Applejack. There’s not much of this pairing but unlike HeartBurn I can understand why, they only had one interaction together (still more than some of the popular pairings of the Brony community), and yet that one interaction was enough for me to ship them. Soarin seems like a simple guy, not the brightest and a bit of a slob, but well meaning and enjoys life more for its basic comforts; the sort of character who would go well with Applejack’s not too ambitious basic comforts of work, food, and family lifestyle.

7) RariPie (Rarity and Pinkie Pie) – I have no idea. I really have no idea why I love this pairing so much other than the two bringing out brilliant comedy and speaking moments when they interact with one another.

6) DisLestia (Discord and Celestia) – This pairing is more of a background detail I like to consider in order to flesh out the relationship between Celestia and Discord, explain Discord as a villain, and give Celestia more depth. The moment Discord said about how he missed her and how grim Celestia used to be and still is was the moment the idea of them dating in the past popped into my head and then the comic ‘Discordantly by CrappyUnicorn’ just made me outright ship it. As I said though, this is more for background and as something for the two characters to look back on when they encounter each other as their opposition, not one I consider likely to happen in present time of the series.

5) DisPie (Discord and Pinkie Pie) – Laughter is Discord’s favourite element after all, and it was that line that also made me ship the two. They are very similar, to the point in which they feel like two sides of the same coin, with Pinkie representing the good side of chaos while Discord represents the dark side of chaos. This in turn allows them to understand one another as they also think on the same wavelength, a wavelength unlikely to be reached by the others. It’s also easy as heck to find adorable fan-art of this pairing, and I really like the works of Mickeymonster in particular.

4) TwiPie (Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie) – You should probably note that I’m a big fan of opposites attract, and TwiPie is a pretty big case of opposites attract. The pairing has a charm to it, they both have features that, if rubbed off on the other, would be beneficial, and they do share the odd similarity such as an inquisitive nature and cases of naivety. Overall it’s just a cute pairing and one that is easy to picture how they get together.

3) SweetieSpike (Sweetie Belle and Spike) – I’m not a fan of pairings in which the two characters have not interacted/have had little interaction however, considering the love triangle that this would cause, I came to like the idea of this. Then I found fan-art of it, mostly sad ones (there was one artwork where a crying Sweetie Belle kisses Spike with her saying "just pretend I’m her"), and I came to like this pairing as a whole. Furthermore with Spike trying to help Rarity all the time, and with Sweetie Belle naturally wanting to help her sister, I could see a bond being formed between them that could spur onto romance from one or both of them.

2) SpAirty (Spike and Rarity) – Rarity has always wanted a gentlepony, someone who would treat her as a lady, and though Spike lacks the pony part he is most certainly a gentledragon. The pairing was always something I considered cute, but not one I considered shipping until ‘A Dog and Pony Show’ gave some greater focus on it and demonstrated Spike’s feelings as genuine, not a mere flight of fancy. Then we had ‘Secret of my Excess’ and ‘Dragon Quest’, which not only made the pairing feel plausible but also showcased the possibility of Rarity sharing feelings for said dragon. A lot stands between this romance and yet it is one of the most plausible, backed up by the show to the point of it pretty much being canon, and has so many possibilities to explore in the realm of characterisation and relationships.

1) FlutterDash (Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash) – I usually hate cases of childhood friends becoming lovers, they tend to feel forced, as if there was no one else they would be with or love. This is certainly an exception as not only is FlutterDash my OTP of MLP:FiM, but is also my second favourite pairing period. Like I said with TwiPie, I do like opposites attract, I believe both characters can share decent characteristics with one another, and the two certainly have a connection the rest of the cast lack. Their interactions are always nice to see and my appreciation of the show has increased even more since coming to support this pairing. Also, nearly all their fan-art is simply adorable.

Now, while I have listed my ten favourite pairings of the series I feel that ending here would make this post feel incomplete. There are other pairings, which while I won't go into much detail, I would like to make note of. First off, the first ever pairing of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic I ever supported was RariJack (Rarity and Applejack), which is rather funny considering my own head canon dictates the two of them as the only straight ponies out of the Mane 6 (I've pretty much always considered Fluttershy to be lesbian and Pinkie Pie to be Bi, while Twilight is Bi-curious and Rainbow Dash never thinks about the subject but probably wouldn't care about the gender of whom she liked). Also, two pairings that almost made it onto the list but got the tenth spot stolen from them by HeartBurn are RovIty (Rover and Rarity) and TrixBlood (Trixe and Prince Blueblood), the first being liked for a Mario-Peach-Bowser dynamic (Spike-Rarity-Rover) and the second because of the fanfic, 'Legion of Gloom'. I would to say that just because there is a lack of yaoi on this list does not mean I do not support homosexual pairings, it's just that few have caught my eye and there are few male characters with significant importance. I also support the occasional crossover pairing, with my favourite crossover pairing involving My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic being PinkieDan (Pinkie Pie and Dan from the Hub cartoon, 'Dan vs.'). Now I feel like I can conclude this post with satisfaction. Feel free to comment on any of these pairings and if you wish, talk about your own favourite pairings. I'm more than willing to reply and discuss other pairings that are not featured on this list of mine, cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment