Saturday 14 April 2012

My Top Twenty MLP:FiM Characters!

As it will be a while before I can upload my blog on Fimfiction.net I decided that I might as well upload the half of it that I planned to upload here earley, before my Fimfiction.net blog. This isn't an old or recent episode musing but a list of my top twenty characters with a brief explanation as to why I like them (I would go into more detail with each one but I didn't want to make the post too long).

20) Mr. Cake – Yes, this character probably would not be on this list if it were not for the fanfic ‘Old Friends’ by Bellum Civille (by the way you should go read that fanfic, even if it is on hiatus currently and it’s easier to read on Fanfiction.net) however there are several canon parts that make him likable. His design and voice are instantly recognisable and I’ve enjoyed his humorous moments in ‘Baby Cakes’ and ‘MMMystery on the Friendship Express’.
19) Tank – I like tortoises and this is a loyal and determined one who travels via a helicopter blade mechanism. I don’t see whats not to like about him.
18) Fido – I love the diamond dogs as a race and I really like the overall feel of Fido. He’s big, broad, and has a deep voice but he isn’t a lackey or considered dumber than the other two of the trio and I like that.
17) Flam – Why is Flam on the list but not Flim? The moustache. Otherwise I like the character for his vibrant attitude and their contribution to the show via a great song.
16) Zecora – I may not like rhymes but I like zebras, and I in particular like the sagely Zecora and her role as a sort of secondary mentor to Twilight.
15) Cranky Doodle Donkey – He reminds me of Carl Fredricksen and anything that reminds me of Up cannot be bad. Furthermore I can relate to the character, love how he’s presented as preferring solitude but with good reason and never comes across as mean. I also like his dedication to love. Seriously, travelling across Equestria for your entire life for a girl you met for one day, that’s deserving of respect.
14) Pinkie Pie – I know a certain friend of mine is displeased at seeing this pink pony at only 14 but that doesn’t mean I don’t love Pinkie Pie. She’s a brilliant character, hilarious and crazy but with a ton of depth to her. She’s only at this point because of characters I like more and the fact that I probably would not get along well with Pinkie Pie if I were to encounter her (anti-social as I am).
13) Applejack – Of all the characters Applejack is the one I most want to hear a solo from because I love her accent in the singing moments. She’s honest and stubborn, both traits I like, and though not a farmer myself I have respect for those who are.
12) Rarity – She often shines for having the best lines in most of the episodes but another reason I like her is that she feels the most balanced. She has pro’s and she has flaws, and this makes her the most believable character, the sort you could actually encounter and range from spending good days and bad days with. I also love how overdramatic she can be, and along with her speech, she often steals the spotlight almost as much as Pinkie’s comedy.
11) Chief Thunderhooves – Just one line and I came to love this character. His declaration of it ‘being the worst performance he had ever seen’ just had me in tears and I like how reasonable they presented him. He had demands and he wasn’t backing down from them but he also considered other options and listened to those around him.
10) Apple Bloom – Once again I love the accent but also the enthusiasm the character has. Her skill is an interesting one and I’ve enjoyed her interactions with the crusaders, her sister, and Zecora.
9) Fancy Pants – Monocle! I should probably expand on that but simply put, I’m British, Fancy Pants is the most British character in the show, and it’s nice to see a rich character that is in turn nice. He also has a monocle.
8) Rover – My favourite of the diamond dogs. I like his design and raspy, recognisable voice, as well as his seemingly greater intellect among his kin.
7) Sweetie Belle – Originally Sweetie Belle was my least favourite among the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and would have been below Apple Bloom on this list however ‘Hearts and Hooves Day’ did wonders for my appreciation of this character. I like how, despite being a bit slow and spaced out, she isn’t depicted as being stupid and actually shows a lot of initiative in cases such as ‘Hearts and Hooves Day’. “Oh come on!” is also one of the best executed lines of the entire show.
6) Fluttershy – I like animals. I’m not necessarily good with them but me and my family have always had pets in the house and I generally prefer their company to other people. Thus part of the reason I like Fluttershy, I can respect her preference to spend time with the animals than other ponies, relate to her days of being bullied (although my case was more people stealing my stuff to prevent me from working in the midst of class), and I generally like kind and shy characters in most stories/anime/cartoons/games.
5) Rainbow Dash – Though I’m not usually a fan of fast, athletic characters I do like proud characters. Her personality also allows for some of the better interactions with other characters, either through showing off her good points or through creating conflict and thus producing a more interesting story to follow.
4) Spike – He’s quite noticeable as the only main male character but is also surprisingly diverse. At times he is the young child he is and at others he is the most level headed probably because he ends up seeing most situations from outside the conflict. I love his charmingly sweet and surprisingly real affections for Rarity as well as his little brother to older sister interactions with Twilight. At times he can be surprisingly effeminate with wishes for greater masculinity, and at others he shows off his masculinity through the finer art of being a true gentleman.
3) Angel Bunny – Anyone here like Bender from Futurama, or Dan from Dan Vs. They are jerks but you can’t help but love them. That is what Angel Bunny is, he is a lovable jerk. There is the ironic joke of him being a bully while being a cute little rabbit and the fact that his owner (allthough at times it seems he is the owner) is the bearer of kindness. He enjoys being evil as it were, it’s fun to be evil; however he also knows when to limit himself, call it quits, and be kind, particularly to Fluttershy who he is constantly trying to get to stand up for herself and voice her opinion (people seem to forget his moments in ‘Ticket Master’, ‘Dragonshy’ and ‘A Bird in the Hoof’). He just doesn’t like doing it because it’s no fun being the nice guy.
2) Scootaloo – While indeed Scootaloo is one of the characters most affected by fandom in regards of how much I like her this would not remove her from my top ten (without fandom she would probably be my sixth favourite character). Her attitude is one feature I like, and though I can never phantom the concept of role models, having never aspired to be like anyone in my entire life, I do find her admiration of Rainbow Dash both a sweet and amusing trait (even more so when you enter Stalkerloo territory). I also find a few of her moments and lines to be more memorable than others.
1) Twilight Sparkle – Twilight Sparkle has been liked by me since the first episode for her intellect, her passion for reading, and for being anti-social but it was ‘Look Before You Sleep’ with her naivety, lack of street-smarts as it were, and absolute adorkableness (which makes me claim that she is the cutest character in the show) that grounded her as my favourite character. I’m surprised at my ability to relate to the character and I appreciate seeing the intelligent, bookworm character being the lead protagonist.
There you have it, my top twenty characters. Will this list change in anyway by the last two episodes of season two? Probably not but is a possibility. Will this list change by the end of season three? More than likely through new additions, so I will upload an updated version of this list when season three ends but for now these are my twenty most loved characters from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment