Sunday 8 April 2012

An Old 'Hurricane Fluttershy' musing.

I'm excited being able to post up this musing because not only is this my best musing of an episode to date, but it also means I'm closer to catching up with the current episode where I will probably receive comments...as well as gain the free time to comment on other review blogs. Anyway, this here is my old post on the episode 'Hurricane Fluttershy', written on the 24th March 2012.

Unlike last week I don't have much reason for updating my blog after only two to four hours since the latest episode, although I did wish to inform my readers of the continuation of 'Thank You Cider' so there is that. Not to worry though, my opinion of ‘Hurricane Fluttershy’ is pretty well affirmed. Second Best Episode Ever! As it stands now, including both seasons, my top five favourite episodes are the following 5) ‘A Dog and Pony Show’, 4) ‘Look Before You Sleep’, 3) ‘The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000’, 2) ‘Hurricane Fluttershy’, and 1) ‘The Last Roundup’.

You know, I was really worried about this episode, I feared it would cast the relationship between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in a negative light like Dragonshy and/or change Fluttershy into a completely different and unlikable character like in 'Putting Your Hoof Down' but I was wrong, I was really wrong. You might as well re-name this episode FlutterDash, the only way you could have made it more ship like is if you had them kiss (and I would have leapt with joy), and the best thing of all is that they manage to present this great yet unlikely friendship while keeping the characters as themselves. Speaking of characters, this episode featured in good amounts my 6th favourite - Fluttershy, my 5th favourite - Rainbow Dash, my 4th favourite - Spike, my third favourite – Angel Bunny, and my favourite character – Twilight Sparkle. They all had decent amounts of screen time, all played a role, and all managed to come across as either likable and/or funny. The only one missing was Scootaloo and you would have my top 6 favourite characters at once. Things to mention that were praiseworthy, the mule joke, Fluttertree camouflage, any interaction going on between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy (also notice how in Fluttershy's house she has a painting of two butterflies and a rainbow, just saying), Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as fillies, a training montage, and they made the results believable (they couldn't set a new record and Fluttershy did not suddenly become super fast, but they managed to get the job done and Fluttershy managed to help so it all works out). One repeated detail that was nice was the coughing, Thunderlane coughs at several points and he later has the feather flu, furthermore when Thunderlane was called up the Blossomforth next to him also begins coughing. Those small details are just incredible.

As for negatives, well there is little to say. Spitfire didn't really have much effect on the episode and ultimately felt pointless, Scootaloo (a pegasus need I remind you) wasn't featured at all, and I was hoping for there to be lyrics with the montage but the music works well enough. Ultimately the things I can suggest as negatives are more improvements, even if you don't consider this episode as a favourite or even great you have to admit that it was a solid episode with few things to fault about it. Overall, I have watched this episode twice already and I eagerly await the influx of more FlutterDash supporters. Next week will be the episode 'Ponyville Confidential', an episode where I will probably disagree with the moral (going on my predictions of the moral of the episode) but I do love the Cutie Mark Cruaders and the episode will be worth watching simply to hear Rarity say the following line in the episode "I'll Destroy Her!"


I still love this episode the point where it still remains as my second favourite episode of the entire show so I have nothing new to say here. As such, feel free to comment and cheerio!

1 comment:

  1. RD didn't give a flying F*** about Fluttershy's feelings until it was clear she'd be able to beat the record with or without her (and then later when it became clear she wouldn't after all.)

    When she said "I need you!" I noticed they forgot to add "to fulfill MY dreams of glory." after.

    Honestly, I detected more Fluttershy/Twilight shipping in there. RD and FS just doesn't strike me as a relationship that could end well.

    ReplyDelete