Tuesday 10 April 2012

An Old 'Ponyville Confidential' Musing.

At the time I wrote the musing on this episode I was also doing my short opinion list on each and every episode of season 1, so it may not be as good as my other musings. It also does not help that my previous musing was on an episode I loved to bits while this one...well you'll see. This here is my old post on the episode 'Ponyville Confidential', written on the 31st March 2012.

Now it is time for a more in depth musing though, this time on recent episode ‘Ponyville Confidential’. Once again it has not been long since I watched the episode and yet I am already writing down my thoughts. I think this will be what I will do, rather than give time to think about the episode over and over again I will head in with my first opinions of the episode. Sure, this likely means my opinion on the episode will change however I can always cover that in the future by having a short all episodes opinion thing for season 2 like I have just done with season 1.

So what do I have to say on the episode, well my opinions are mixed mostly. I love the Cutie Mark Crusaders and once again their interactions with one another prove enjoyable. There are several funny moments, we got to see a lot of Diamond Tiara in an antagonistic role (something this show needs more of) and I liked both the design of Feather Weight and the small actions of the chubby pony. The one thing I found remarkable about this episode is how the Cutie Mark Crusaders had doubts over what they were doing but continued to do so despite their guilt because of both Diamond Tiara and because it was making the other ponies happy. Unfortunately it is the featuring of this surprising factor that causes great problems in my feelings towards this episode as it sets up a great amount of sympathy for the Crusaders.

To explain, one of the key problems I found with 'The Mysterious Mare Do Well' is how, despite it trying to present Rainbow Dash in the wrong, I could not help but feel sympathetic for Rainbow Dash and this made the other characters come across as real jerks. Here it is even worse, we are shown that the crusaders feel guilty for what they are doing but knowing that it has been making ponies happy (which it does until it happens to each of the characters) they continue to do so, even if what they had been doing was wrong they were doing so for the right reasons. The fact that the other characters barely give them a chance to explain and get furious over something they originally were happy about and the fact that the ones they lash out against are children pretty much makes everyone out to be a bunch of hypocritical assholes. I was amazed that 'A Friend In Deed' managed to make me dislike Pinkie Pie for a short period of time (because of not being properly reprimanded for accidentally destroying Cranky Doodle Donkey's stuff) but here, from watching 'Ponyville Confidential', I have temporarily gained a hatred for pretty much all the characters outside of the Crusaders. Heck, I feel like I have a right to put Big Mac on my list of disliked characters for his lines in this episode, and that list of disliked characters on this show doesn't even reach ten. I can sort of understand the reactions of the other ponies but they took it too far, and the feelings they had are not something I can relate to personally. When I was at school people spread lies about me and I just let it happen. It didn't bother me; I don't care about what other people think of me. As for something to hide, I have next to nothing. I'm incredibly blunt, like stating my opinions on subjects even when they’re not needed, and the only things I keep secret are bank and security details (also presents, I keep presents I have bought for people a secret).

Overall while there is a good amount to love about the episode, the flaws I feel can be too great at times. It's an episode that I will probably later consider average but currently it has its foot too far into the poor zone. Next week we have 'MMMystery on the Friendship Express' an episode that I look forward to immensely. The reason for this anticipation is because my favourite Rugrat's special (just stating now, Rugrats is my all time favourite cartoon ever, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is only my sixth favourite cartoon) 'Murmur on the Ornery Express', is based off the same thing, and both it and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door have given me a love for mysteries on trains.


You know how I said I would probably consider this episode average later on, well I was wrong. Not only do I consider it poor but I think I would rate this episode as my least favourite, even more so that 'Owl's Well That Ends Well'. Sure, there are some good things about this episode and one key thing I never pointed out was Rarity. Everything about Rarity came across brilliantly and she is the only character who does the right thing, she talks with Sweetie Belle about how what she has done was wrong rather than simply ignoring or lashing out at her. I also likened to Diamond Tiara, not because she is a likable character but because she makes a great antagonist. In previous episodes she was simply bitchy, here she is outright evil...and I love it. The final good thing it did was give me a better appreciation of 'The Mysterious Mare Do Well', the characters had good intentions in that episode, they just went about it as a bunch of idiots; jerks via stupidity, rather than intentionally mean.

As for how this episode has worsened over time, well with exception to Rarity's line, 'I'll Destroy Her!" nothing made me burst out laughing. There are few neat little animations/silent character actions that make me snicker but I often have a hard time remembering the good of the episode because it feels kind of weak and forgettable. The bad on the other hand, that has just gotten worse over time, more so with the knowledge that this episode was the first time I wanted to violently attack a My Little Pony character. Heck, it's rare I ever get that angry with a cartoon character but in that Big Mac moment I felt the urge to somehow warp to Equestria if only to take a steel bat and beat him with it until all four of his legs were broken. At least such a thing will open a gigantic doorway for discussion so feel free to comment and cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment