Saturday 7 April 2012

An Old 'Dragon Quest' musing.

No fancy introduction this time, just stating that this here is my old post on the episode 'Dragon Quest', written on the 17th March 2012.

It is time to start my episode analysis on 'Dragon Quest', an episode starring my fourth favourite character Spike and so of course I'm going to start...by pointing out evidence for the FlutterDash pairing. I know it will most likely never be canon but finding evidence to suggest it is fun, and that little part at the beginning with Rainbow Dash stating how she went with Fluttershy to watch the Butterfly migration was just a great bit. Also funny how it appears that Rainbow Dash was the only one who went with Fluttershy (although I then wonder who took the picture then).

Oh yes, back to Spike and his episode. Today's episode had several brilliant moments and yet it is certainly not one of the best episodes. The opening was fantastic, the moment with the Mane 6 (Fluttershy excluded) watching the dragons was hilarious, and Spike's emotional crisis was actually touching. It was when Spike met up with the dragons that things became a bit dull, as the dragons were rather two dimensional and the happenings were all things I have seen before. There was the occasional laugh and I loved how the dragons don't care about Celestia (now all I need is for a good guy to not bow and scrape before her, and actually object to her and I will be very pleased) but it was the weaker moments of the overall episode. Once Spike says no to the dragons the greatness returns and I absolutely love the moment where Rarity threatens the dragons, best part of the episode. I also found it fascinating how this episode encouraged RariSpike, but from Rarity's side rather than Spike's, very interesting and a good way of doing it considering Spike is more focused on finding out who he is in this episode. Overall, while the episode had moments where it got dull and predictable it was also filled with brilliant scenes of humour, animation, and emotions, and while I would not consider it one of the best of the season, it was still a strong and enjoyable episode.

Next week we have 'Hurricane Fluttershy' an episode I am both excited for and worried for. You see, I'm not a big fan of the whole controlling weather thing (or most things that go against Mother Nature, an issue I would like to see raised as well as a concept possibly used for an antagonist in the future) and the last Fluttershy episode was pretty bad in my opinion. I am however excited for it because of it focusing on Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash and well, you can probably guess why. I think I will settle with being cautiously optimistic about this episode.

No fancy ending comments either, I just hope you'll comment, thank you if you do, and day cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment